Press Release: Washington County Government Offices Limited Closure Schedule
For Immediate Release
March 16, 2020
As a county government the health and well-being of our communities are always at the forefront of each decision we make. Now finding ourselves in a global pandemic we feel it appropriate to do our part to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus, by implementing changes to County operations. Effective 5:00 PM today, March 16, 2020, County Administrator Jason Berry declares a state of emergency for Washington County, Virginia. Beginning Wednesday March 18, 2020 County Government offices will be on a Limited Closure schedule. Our goal is to continue to provide services on a limited basis, while practicing social distancing to safeguard our employees and the public.
The limited Closure Schedule includes:
- County Government Offices will be closed to the public.
- Employees will be teleworking when possible, or work on a varied schedule.
- Building Services, Zoning, and Water & Erosion Settlement Control will continue to receive applications and request only via email and a physical drop-box located outside the office’s main entrance.
- Solid Waste Services & Convenience Stations will remain open on a regular schedule.
- Information Systems Department will remain on a regular schedule.
- Department of Emergency Management and Law Enforcement will operate as normal.
- Recreation Department has suspended all after-school programs and all spring sports programs.
- Washington County Park opening will be delayed to May 1st.
- The Planning Commission meeting on March 23rd is canceled.
- All Board Advisory Committee Meetings are canceled for the month of March.
- The Voter Registrar’s Office will begin absentee voting on Friday, March 20, 2020.
The Board of Supervisors will meet for a planned Budget Work-session on March 17th at 6:00 PM and the Board of Supervisors will consider ratification of the Declaration of Emergency at that time. The Board would like to remind citizens each meeting is live-streamed on the County’s website. The Limited Closure will be reevaluated weekly by the Board of Supervisors’ Chairman Dwayne Ball, County Administrator Jason Berry and Emergency Management Coordinator Theresa Kingsley-Varble.
During this closure please refer to the County’s website www.washcova.com for updates and schedule changes.