Washington County, Virginia
Title: Park Superintendent
Authority/Department: Washington County Park Authority
Earliest Start Date: February 1st, 2024
Nature of Work: Under the direction of the Washington County Park Authority (hereto after referred to as WCPA) and the WCPA Manager, the Park Superintendent is responsible for assuring the safe and efficient operation of Washington County Park, including but not limited to assigning campsites, collecting fees, keeping accurate records, supervision of seasonal staff, equipment, and property repair and maintenance.
1. Supervision of Seasonal Staff
2. Development and Management of Employee Work Schedules
3. Basic Bookkeeping and Accounting of Daily Deposits
4. Supervision of Equipment Repairs and Maintenance
5. Monitoring of Sites and Tenants and Assigning Site Rentals
6. Customer Interaction
7. Oversight of Park Safety and Adherence to Established Rules and Policies
8. Management and Inventorying of Supplies
9. Meter Reading and Billing
10. Other Duties as Necessary
1. Park Operations – General knowledge of the administration and management of public parks and facility operation, boating, water access, natural resources management and camping facilities.
2. Supervision – knowledge of the principles of leadership techniques, principles, and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, provide training and evaluate performance of park staff. Position Description:
Job Title: Washington County Park Superintendent
Washington County VA Park Authority
3. Safety / Security – Knowledge and practice of maintaining a safe park and working environment relative to park operations, recreational equipment usage, and basic first aid.
4. Facilities and Trades – Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods, techniques, tools and equipment used in park maintenance and repair.
5. Customer Service – Thorough knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services including setting and meeting quality standards and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
1. Computer Skills – Utilize computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and related software to complete a variety of tasks with reasonable efficiency.
2. Tools and Equipment — Proper care, operation, and maintenance of park equipment, tools and supplies.
3. Interpersonal Relationships — Proper communication skills to present a positive, professional image of Washington County Park on behalf of the WCPA and Washington County. Effectively develops and maintains cooperative professional relationships and responds to complex inquiries and disputes.
1. Communication – Ability to communicate ideas and proposals effectively. Ability to establish, maintain, and manage relationships with employees, park users, and the general public.
2. Coordination of Work – Ability to plan and organize daily work routine and establish priorities for the completion of work.
3. Park Operations – Understand and apply park policies and procedures; think clearly and apply logic and common sense to problem solving.
1. High school graduation or GED is required.
2. Experience in construction and park maintenance work with some experience as a supervisor in such activities is preferred.
3. Managerial experience preferred
Job Location and Conditions:
• Work is performed primarily within the boundaries of Washington County. Virginia. May be required to report to work after or before regular business hours and during emergency conditions.
• Performs work safely in accordance with safety policies and procedures.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
• Must have ability to reason and make judgments, to understand and follow oral and written instructions, to guide/give instructions and to make decisions in accordance with established procedures and policies.
• Must have ability to answer the telephone, communicate with the general public; vendors; or with other employees.
• Must have ability to communicate with the public; vendors; or other employees.
• Must have ability to read and understand text.
• Must have ability to mentally perform accurate two-digit calculations, accurate calculations aided by a calculator and adding machine or measuring devices.
• Must have ability to effectively handle all job-related equipment, tools, machinery, supplies, and materials.
• Must have ability to lift at least 50 pounds.
• Must have ability to: occasionally (1-3 hours/day) stand; frequently (1-3 hours/day) walk and continuously (7-9 hours/day) sit. Must be able to walk over varied terrain.
• Must have ability to focus and have peripheral vision.
Performance of essential functions may require significant exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as dust, pollen, wetness, humidity, temperature and weather extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, toxic agents, animal / wildlife exposure, water hazards, disease, and/or rude/irate customers.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an automatic transmission vehicle.
• Periodic driving record checks required.
Job Status: FULL TIME / EXEMPT
Salary: Commensurate with experience; no less than $35,000 DOQ, DOE with Benefits
The Washington County Park Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Descriptions are intended to serve as guidance and reference documents with respect to the scope and responsibilities of Park Authority positions. They are not intended and should not be interpreted to be binding or limiting with respect to a position. The Park Authority Board reserves the right to fill vacancies in positions by hiring persons appearing the best suited for such positions, regardless of their qualifications.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com