Emergency Management

Washington County Public Safety Building

20281 Rustic LN Abingdon VA, 24210
Fax: (276) 525-1339
Email: Emergency Services
Office Hours:Weekdays 8:30am – 5:00pm

The Department of Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating emergency services activities within Washington County. A close relationship is maintained between the Department and the volunteer fire and rescue organizations who are assigned emergency response duties throughout the County. The Department is responsible for maintaining a County Emergency Operations Plan and a Hazardous Materials Response Plan. The Department is also the point of contact for the County’s Enhanced 9-1-1 (E-911) system.


Theresa D. Kingsley, AAS, CCEMT-P

Phone: (276) 525-1331
Phone: (276) 525-1339

Deputy Coordinator

Tim Estes, Sr.

Phone: (276) 525-1330
Phone: (276) 525-1309

In Washington County, E-911 street addresses are typically four- or five-digit numbers followed by the road or highway name and suffix (i.e., 12345 Lee Highway). The Towns of Abingdon, Damascus, Glade Spring and portion of Saltville have their own street addressing system typically using three- or four-digit numbers which are integrated into the County’s E-911 address database. The numbers used have a low- and high-range along both sides of the road or highway; the difference between the numbers is a relative indication of the distance between the two addressed structures in 50-foot increments.

The street names themselves are often chosen by the original property owner or developer of the street, or selected from a list of eligible street names maintained by the Emergency Management Department. Making sure you are using the correct street address is an important function of the Department of Emergency Management.

E-911 enables dispatchers with the County’s Emergency Communications Center to immediately view your name and physical address when an emergency call is made from your telephone number. This allows response times to be reduced and provides essential data so that responders can locate you in the event you are not able to communicate.

If you are building a new home or need to verify the address of an existing home or business, effective June 25, 2009 until further notice please call the County Department of Building Inspection at (276) 525-1320. Please note that addresses for new construction will not be available until after the initial footer inspection has been completed.

The Virginia Homeland Security Threat Warning System PDF is available for download by clicking on the link below. This document details color coded terrorist threat levels and what actions need to be taken by citizens for each threat level.Adobe Acrobat Reader (Version 5.0 or greater) is required for download of these forms.


The Washington County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) has been revised as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia Emergency Services and Disaster Laws of 2000, as amended, Section 44-146.13 et seq. A local planning team was developed to provide input and gather information to complete the revision of this plan.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an E-911 street address?

The first step to get a E-911 street address is to obtain a Building Permit from the County Department of Building Inspection. This permit is required to place a manufactured housing unit (mobile home) or construct a site-built structure. After you have your first inspection (or footer/electrical inspection if a manufactured home), contact this Department and request a E-9-1-1 street address. Effective June 25, 2009 until further notice, please contact the County Department of Building Inspection at (276) 525-1320 for your E-911 address.

What qualifies naming a road?

Any right-of-way with three or more residential or business structures is assigned a E-911 street name, regardless of whether it is a private or public street or road.

Why do I need an E-911 street address when I have a Post Office box?

You need a E-911 street address to apply for and receive telephone, public water/sewer and electrical service. When anyone dials “9-1-1”, the street address where that call was made is instantly made available to dispatchers within Washington County’s Emergency Communications Center. The street address where the call was made determines which law enforcement, fire or rescue unit is sent to your location when you request emergency assistance.

Where can I get a Washington County E-911 Street Map and how much does it cost?

County E-911 Street Maps are free and are available at the Washington County Chamber of Commerce (179 East Main Street, Abingdon, Virgina), at Washington County’s Main and Branch libraries, or through the County Department of Emergency Management (205 Academy Drive, Abingdon, Virginia) while supplies last. County E-911 Street Maps are updated approximately every two years.

Can I call 9-1-1 from a pay telephone?

Yes, coin-operated telephones can be used to dial “9-1-1” for emergency assistance at no cost. These telephones are assigned a E-911 street address for emergency response purposes.

What fire department and rescue squad covers the area where I live?

Washington County has nine volunteer fire departments, of which two are fire and rescue combination, and four rescue squads located throughout the County. The department physically located the closest to your location will be the one to respond to an emergency in your area.

Does Washington County have public emergency shelters?

The County uses public schools and County-owned community centers for public emergency shelters, activated by the County Director of Emergency Management or County Emergency Management Coordinator. If you are asked to evacuate your home for safety reasons you will be advised where to report for emergency shelter if needed.

What areas of Washington County are subject to flooding?

Flash flooding can occur anywhere but the most flood prone areas in Washington County are the Damascus and Mendota communities.

How do I report a missing road sign?

Road sign installation and replacement is a responsibility of the Emergency Management Department. Effective June 25, 2009 until further notice, please call the Office of County Administrator at (276) 525-1300 to report a down or missing road sign.