Tax Rate Information

Real Property – Due May 20 and Nov. 20 of each year

  • Washington County: $0.63 per $100 of fair market value (Due Dates: May 20 & Nov 20)
  • Abingdon: $0.28 per $100 of fair market value (Due Dates: May 20 & Nov 20)
  • Damascus: $0.46 per $100 of fair market value (Due Dates: May 20 & Nov 50)
  • Glade Spring: $0.23 per $100 of fair market value (Due Dates: Dec 21)
  • Saltville: $0.18 per $100 of fair market value (Due Dates: Dec 5)

Method of Valuation: Countywide property reassessment every four years.

Machinery & Tools

  • Washington County: $1.55 per $100 of valuation
  • Abingdon: $0.55 per $100 of valuation
  • Damascus: $0.52 per $100 of valuation
  • Glade Spring: $0.20 per $100 of valuation
  • Saltville: $0.85 per $100 of valuation

Method of Valuation: 100% of original cost in first year; then decreases by 10% annually to 50%

Personal Property – Due Nov. 20 of each year

  • Washington County: $1.70 per $100 of NADA Loan Value (Due Date: Nov 20)
  • Abingdon: $0.55 per $100 of NADA Loan Value (Due Date: Nov 20)
  • Damascus: $0.52 per $100 of NADA Loan Value (Due Date: Nov 15)
  • Glade Spring: $0.20 per $100 of NADA Loan Value (Due Date: Dec 21)

Saltville $0.65 per $100 of NADA Loan Value (Due Date: Dec 5)

Transient Occupancy

  • Washington County: 2% of Total Receipts
  • Abingdon: 7% of Total Receipts
  • Damascus: 5% of Total Receipts

Merchant’s Capital Business License

Washington County does not require business licenses nor levies a Merchant’s Capital Tax. The Towns of Abingdon, Damascus and Glade Spring levy business license taxes on professionals and retail establishments.

Sales Tax

  • 4.3% state plus 1.00% local (total of 5.3% on each $1.00 of taxable consumer goods and services).