Government Center Building Dedication Ceremony

In 1784, the Virginia General Assembly resolved to honor George Washington with a statue as “a monument of affection and gratitude.” ThomasJefferson recommended famed French sculptor Jean-Antoine Houdon,who agreed to the commission and began his work in 1785. After visitingwith Washington at Mount Vernon in October to make measurements anda life mask, Houdon completed the statue in 1792. It was erected in theVirginia State Capitol’s Rotunda in 1796 and still stands there today.

 

Click Here to Read Full Program